United Heroes MUSH, from the Tri-State Area to the Stars ( Marvel / DC / Other )

• Pitcrew

alt text

Welcome to United Heroes, a brand new superhero MUSH set in the year 2025. Rather than base our game on any one source, we've chosen to weave all the disparate realities into our own coherent theme. On Earth-1999, our little part of the multiverse, Agatha Harkness cast the "Spell of Humility" over the Gargoyle race, causing their garments to turn to stone during the day, Leonardo da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa at the behest of Vandal Savage, the Chernobyl disaster caused many mutants to be born, and Matthew Murdock was blinded by the same ooze that mutated four baby turtles.

While we count Marvel and DC as our primary sources, we've added other sources to truly bring our world alive. You can enjoy your Soder Cola with Big Belly Burger, or maybe you'd prefer a Zesti Cola and some chicken from Los Pollos Hermanos. Why not read about the day's events in a copy of the Daily Bugle, or maybe you get all your news from LexTV.

We've strived to blend reality with the familiar aspects of the comics. The Hudson River is all that separates Old Gotham in New Jersey from the economic powerhouse that is Manhattan. Further up the coast, you'll find Metropolis, the city of Tomorrow, in Connecticut. Maybe you prefer the suburban life on Long Island, New York. And there's always Blüdhaven, though be careful out there. They seem to have a lot of spontaneous neck ruptures.

It's not just about allowing these other concepts. We've integrated them. Buffy Summers might team up with some of the McCall Pack to investigate the disappearance of John Constantine. Victor von Doom can enjoy a delightful brunch with Ambassador Diana. At United Heroes, imagination comes alive. What will we think up next? Join us and find out.

TCP/IP Address: unitedheroesmush.com
    Port Number: 1999
    Suggested client: MUSHclient
    Wiki: http://www.unitedheroesmush.com/ (under construction, wiki staff wanted)
    Players: 180+
    Unique IPs during peak hours: 65+

Map of the Tri-State Area
    alt text

• Pitcrew

I love superhero mash-up games like this but, honestly, you need to sell this better.

How is it multi-themed? Are there tiers of power? How does, say, Buffy interact with SHIELD? How are the various themes incorporated together? What makes this place unique?

• Pitcrew

Thanks for the comment @Gilette. I took another stab it. What do you think?

• Pitcrew

@Claremont

That gives me a much better picture! I'll try to log on and take a look around soon.

• Isn't this Brave New World 2.0? http://musoapbox.net/topic/554/brave-new-world-mush

• Pitcrew

@BobGoblin
    Volund is a coder of some renown, and he provided us with our code base, as well to several others games out there, including Brave New World. But we have no connection whatsoever with Brave New World's Elsa / Onyx / Zero.

• Pitcrew

Map is so pretty.
    Also for 'reasons' I am tempted to app there just to rp in a grid space representing Keasbey.

• Pitcrew

@ThatGuyThere
    Thank you. We were going for a realistic setting, or as realistic as it can be given some people can fly, shoot laser beams from their heads, and the like.

• Politics

@BobGoblin I can confirm that my Elsa-scanner has not pinged once. And, well, you 've probably heard how much Esa loves me thanks to a certain thread ;) . I'd rather choose to have a vasectomy from a paint can shaker than go anywhere associated with Elsa.

The place is certified Not Elsa Infested.

• Pitcrew

Got a wiki?

• Elsa as Ice.

• Pitcrew

@Ghost Alas, we do not have a wiki yet, but we have plenty of information in the news files.

• Pitcrew

@Misadventure I don't understand your meaning? But I can assure you that Elsa plays no part in our game. We do however, have the same coder as Brave New World, Volund. He has built a number of other games, as well as our own.

• I meant Disney's Elsa, the one with similar powers as DC's Ice (of Fire and Ice, or Justice League fame).

• Politics

@Misadventure She may have been in the guise of Elsa, but I think it's safe to say that she was really a Dementor.

Or Demented. I always get those two mixed up.

• @Vorpal said in United Heroes MUSH, a Marvel, DC, and Other Superhero Game:

@Misadventure She may have been in the guise of Elsa, but I think it's safe to say that she was really a Dementor.

Or Demented. I always get those two mixed up.

BNW's Elsa always gave me more Dolores Umbridge vibes.

• I have been playing here for a bit so far and it's been mostly enjoyable. Staff are helpful, player base is not (yet?) annoying or off-putting on channels or in the OOC area.

The only wrinkle I've encountered has been difficulty in prying specific details out of my fellow players to craft scenes for them--there's a lot of general feeling-out for RP partners but then no specifics are offered to help direct the invention of a situation to build a scene around. (e.g., "What do you want to do?" "Whatever.")

But that's not a problem with the game so much as with players not quite having a clear sense of what they want to do with their characters, I think. I want to chalk it up to the recent opening rather than to fundamental indecisiveness, at least for now.

• I've been here long enough to form some meaningful observations:

The Good

1. Staff is responsive and helpful.
    2. The code is ... sizable and impressive, but not so obtrusive that it bugs me.
    3. Approvals are fast and the staff seems to be leaning in the direction of "yes" or possibly "yes, but" instead of the default I've seen in a lot of games of "fuck no".
    4. The number of players is impressively large for a game this new. Even here in the Time Zone from Hell I've managed to score a decently long scene within a day of approval.
    5. Even though very obviously busy still building pieces of the game (for which q.v. below under The Bad), the game's owner is still setting up events to run (albeit slipping delivery dates at times).
    6. The players have been friendly and welcoming so far.
    7. The system for recording scenes is a delight. Today I re-read my scene from yesterday because I wanted to check if I had revealed something or not. (I did.) Instead of screwing with my logs and trying to find poses in among OOC chatter, looks, +fingers, etc. I got just the scene, just as it was posed. Very nice.

The Bad

1. The grid is big. I mean motherfucking huge. I mean "possibly larger than Shang"-grade enormous. And currently it's just that: a grid. Streets and intersections and little else. There's apparently a forthcoming phase where they desc out places at the grid nodes giving us more than streets and names to play in, but until that happens (and it likely will given the other high notes the staff has been hitting so far) it's kind of useless. (Some RP rooms help out in this regard for now.)
    2. The displays and such are a bit cluttered for my tastes. (This was exacerbated by an apparent Potato bug on top of all that.) I'm sure I can get used to it, but it bothers me mildly at the moment.

The Ugly

1. This is a club that has me as a member.

• Admin

@WTFE said in United Heroes MUSH, a Marvel, DC, and Other Superhero Game:

The Bad

1. The grid is big. I mean motherfucking huge. I mean "possibly larger than Shang"-grade enormous.

Are there convenient ways to navigate it (+meetme, etc) other than to walk from A to B? I.e. can you bypass the size if you'd rather just 'have a scene at a bar' ?

• @Arkandel said in United Heroes MUSH, a Marvel, DC, and Other Superhero Game:

The Bad

1. The grid is big. I mean motherfucking huge. I mean "possibly larger than Shang"-grade enormous.

Are there convenient ways to navigate it (+meetme, etc) other than to walk from A to B? I.e. can you bypass the size if you'd rather just 'have a scene at a bar' ?

Yes. All the rooms on the grid are in a database that can be listed or searched by partial text matches. You can teleport, meet, join, etc. so only one person has to do even that much for a scene.

Of course right now there's a distinct paucity of bars to have a scene in... ;)

...but that's apparently in the works now.

• Coder

All the rooms on the grid are in a database that can be listed or searched by partial text matches.

Sploosh.

Looks like your connection to MU Soapbox was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.