Hosting

• Coder

I need a solid host that isn't going to be to expensive. I have an idea that I absolutely /must/ build, but given the current things going on I'm willing to take suggestions.

Hell I'd just take a spare port with Rhost (Don't really need reality levels for my idea) or the latest version of TinyMUX on if anyone has a spare port they'd be willing to loan me until I got it ready for alpha testing and could move to a new location.

• @Lithium DigitalOcean is $10/month and can be set up to include the wiki pre-installed. You just have to add the MUX. @Glitch's Zero-to-MUX thread covers the steps, and it's pretty much that simple.

• Pitcrew

http://kydance.net/pages/mu_hosting

Run by a former MU*er, also a close friend of mine.

• I know my PennMUSH is on dune.net's servers. They are fairly cheap, like 6/month for the basic package which is really all you need. The guy is also willing to work with you and change up package stuff, so like-- if you don't need all the space, but like to have a solid domain name... Things like that.

• Coder

I tried Kydance, but the guy never e-mailed me back. Thanks for the tips.

• Coder

Linode. The $5/mo is more then sufficient for a mush.

Edit to add: To be clear, that's 1 CPU core, 1GB of ram, 20 GB of SSD storage, and more bandwidth then you will ever, ever, ever need, for both a game and its wiki if you want to host it on there.

• Coder

I'm using amazon web services and it's running about 3 bucks a month during the building phase and I have 4 games running on it at the moment (Yes Yes I know I just setup a new core to get game ideas out of my head.)

• Coder

@Seamus have you looked at Google's web service? Trying to debate Google vs Amazon for future moves my team might make.

• Pitcrew

Seconding @surreality and Digital Ocean. It is stable, affordable, and has mediawiki.

• Coder

@golgoth I haven't no. But I used AWS because it gave me a free year trial. Now that I've used that up it looks like it is going to run me 3.00~ a month. For building at least. I have no games in production so I'll update once I open a game.

• Admin

I just started with Linode a few days ago and it's going great. $5/month is nothing (and the first few are paid by a coupon thing), I got root access on a distro of my choice, and the machine is fast and responsive. No complaints.

Looks like your connection to MU Soapbox was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.