Flashpoint: Gotham

• GAME UPDATE:

We're now currently putting finishing touches on CG.

Level 5 Powers are in talks and being edited.

Combat/Damage has been posted. Equipment page is completed. Theme/Setting page is also complete.

• Considering some of the other recent events, I think this may be a better game for me to cut my teeth on. When the dust settles from construction, I'm gonna give it a go.

• Pitcrew

@rizbunz said in Flashpoint: Gotham:

WW Aberrant System,

<3 <3 <3 <3

• Coder

@rizbunz So going through some of your stuff here... you may want to reconsider some of your dice calculations. Let's take Elemental Mastery for example: Lethal Blast does /half/ your meta-rating + dots in Elemental Mastery. So if you were Meta 4 (the minimum to have Elemental Mastery), and had 5 dots in Elemental Mastery your die pool would be... 4, 5 if you round up.

That is pretty much trivial damage to most anyone. Most supers will probably take Eufiber for their 'super costume', it provides up to 5 armour out the gate.

Let alone anyone with any actual resistance powers, force field, armor, mega-stamina, invulnerability, etc. would just laugh that off too.

Consider too the toughness of a regular car, a wall, an armored car, a tank...

Compared to Power Bolt a meta 2 power, which does meta rating x2 + dots in power bolt x3 dice in lethal... At it's /base/ Power Bolt is superior to Elemental Mastery, which... doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Sure you could tell people to just take Power Bolt but given the high requirements for Elemental Mastery it does seem out of wack.

Just my opinions/thoughts, am curious as to why there is such a huge disparity in power levels.

I know Elemental Mastery can do a lot more stuff than Power Bolt, but doing less than a quarter of the damage? That seems excessive.

• I mean this as constructively as possible, but I really feel like "Flashpoint : Gotham" may not exactly be the right name?

This is really looking like a spin-off M&M type thing.

When I think "Gotham" I think street-level people punching each other, mostly. Not a bunch of X-Men powered types.

I'd be pretty surprised if I was alone in that assumption based off the name 'Gotham', but hey I've been wrong before, I suppose.

• @cylon We welcome you <3

• @lithium Thanks for the input! I'll have the boys look this over again and we'll change what needs to be/what they think needs to be.

Granted, Eufiber is one for one and not straight up 5 (unless you spend ALL your background points in Eufiber, then fair enough).

Anyway, yeah! I'll have Cubone and Squirtle give it another look over. <3

• @tempest It's the right name for us. It's our core and what we're basing the game in and around.

It was already stated that our main focus IS street level stories, crime, etc. Just because people are meta-humans doesn't change that. You'll also be happy to know that not EVERYONE has to play someone with powers, either, and that given our XP system, no one will be overpowered, even FCs.

It's DC, it's a Superhero game, there will be powers somewhere in there. At the end of the day, it all depends on how you play.

• @rizbunz said in Flashpoint: Gotham:

It was already stated that our main focus IS street level stories, crime, etc. Just because people are meta-humans doesn't change that. You'll also be happy to know that not EVERYONE has to play someone with powers, either, and that given our XP system, no one will be overpowered, even FCs.

I think I said this already, so I apologize if I come off as 'harping' on this point, but.

Would you be willing to maybe explain what precautions you have taken that mean 'no one will be overpowered'?

Given the setting/etc, I imagine there would be a lot of power-less punch-y types. In the vein of Batman, robin, batgirl, etc. The thing is, in a hard-coded dice system, Batman can only be 'so good' at Punching. And probably everybody will be at that level.

With the meta stuff available, I'm going to hazard a guess you're going to wind up with "Batman" type characters, who also have +5 superstrength/whatever, which will theoretically render them flat out unbeatable by a 'non-meta' person because of dice mechanics.

In actual comic, "Batman-types" tend to have plot armor of some sort. Yeah, everybody in bat family is brawl 5 and can beat up 20 Mooks at once, but none of them are as good as Batman. When you break that down to just 'actual dice mechanics' everybody is the exact same.

I could be way off base, but I suspect most characters that app here will be Metas. Because...why not?

Is there a mechanical reason to not be Meta?

• Coder

@tempest Gadgets and tech are great equalizers. There's also plenty of times where Batman has failed, physically, against Meta's. That's part of what makes him the World's Greatest Detective because he ferrets out ways to /beat/ people he has no real reasonable way to beat.

• Admin

Mechanics aside maybe thematic reasons? Batman hasn't exactly shown the greatest trust towards metahumans in almost any incarnation, let alone in the Flashpoint timeline.

• @tempest So far, those interested in the game who have personally spoken to me...aren't going to be Meta. So, for now, I'm afraid you are a bit off base.

I get your thinking. I get the reasoning of 'yeah, but how?', because most Super games are just killer. Thing is, most comic games don't use XP to purchase abilities, or even have dice systems that allow chance. If you spend ALL your points to have 5+ anything? More power to you. HOWEVER, because of that they'll be very WEAK in other areas; and that's a balance.

You cannot come into the game and just be instant here. Anything with 'plot armor' are NPCs, and that depends solely on who's running a scene. It's more about the story than 'who can trump who out the gate.'

TL;DR is there a mechanical reason to be anything but the best? Mechanically, not really. You don't start out the best, regardless of what race you pick to play. Even humans get better incentives to just be human. Then again, if you're coming to the game purely for mechanics, maybe it's not the best game for you.

• Pitcrew

Very, very interested in this.

On one of the other Cape games at the moment, but I'd love something with some focus to it.

• Pitcrew

@the_generic_one said in Flashpoint: Gotham:

Very, very interested in this.

On one of the other Cape games at the moment, but I'd love something with some focus to it.

This.

All other superhero games have no focus whatsoever, no story other than what players put together. Would love to see a game that has a purpose besides existing.

• Admin

@bobgoblin As someone who's basically never played a comic book MU*, what do you... well, do?

For instance are you depended on GMs to run a bank robbery so you can go arrest them? What are the meat and potatoes of these games like?

• Pitcrew

@arkandel said in Flashpoint: Gotham:

@bobgoblin As someone who's basically never played a comic book MU*, what do you... well, do?

For instance are you depended on GMs to run a bank robbery so you can go arrest them? What are the meat and potatoes of these games like?

Save for one I played back around 2001~, they've all just been people splintering off and doing their own thing. No metaplot, no staff-run plot. Which is why so many devolve into people sitting in private rooms with each other.

And when someone does step up and run 'open' events, people are so starved for it that it's sort of a flood of 'I wanna show off!' Which is understandable. You're playing one of your favorite superheroes. You wanna do things.

The 'multiverse' comic games are hard to plot for, I get it, but it's why I'm also a fan of the more focused scopes.

• Pitcrew

@bobgoblin While I love finding creative people from all the various source materials and, say, RPing with a great Lex Luthor as some Marvel Villain... more often it's just one or two people trying to do something plot-wise ICly and everyone else ignoring them to RP in a tight circle in some private location and never interacting with the world-at-large.

GOOD FUN.

Yeah, I'll be checking this one out for sure. Just give me something other than the never-ending status quo please.

• Pitcrew

@arkandel

In my experience (which I admit is not super pun intended)

It seems like a lot of times staff set the game up, set it into motion, then expect players to run plots and do things on their own. Occasionally staff will throw out 'big bad' that will require some dues ex to overcome then revert back to the norm.

The games devolve over time into trying to get some super bang on and relationship building as players filter in and out playing different characters with no continuity. Then the drama swells as feelings get hurt and the game collapses under itself.

The reason this is an issue, is comics in themselves delve into social issues, conflict and struggles of being distinctly different in a world. At the end, my opinion is the 'games' refuse to place characters in a losing situation as they're all 'overpowered' versus the world itself and the balancing factor of society is never explored.

They grow stale and boring due to a lack of staff vision on what to do and more importantly WHY to do it. That's why I'm kind of hopeful on this game's front that they seem to be aware of that and are attempting at least to put into place character accountability (through a stat system in this situation).

• Pitcrew

@the_generic_one

I agree 100%.

These games allow characters to ignore the world at large. So there's not point in (as Auspice pointed out) Meta Plot. Then when things do happen it becomes a dong-fest to show off. You both pointed out the individuals who step up to do things, the burn out rate on them is astronomical as well. To constantly be running stuff, never fed stuff, and expected to sustain is asinine.

Unfortunately, I also can't offer a lot of ideas on solutions other than a tight scope and an enforcement of expectations with players.

• Holy cow the reception!

Well, firstly, thanks to everyone new taking an interest in the game! Thanks so much for your constructive posts and helping others understand about Super RPs who are new to them. You guys are awesome!

Looks like your connection to MU Soapbox was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.