NeverwinterMUSH

• Welcome to Neverwinter, the City of Skilled Hands and jewel of the North Sword Coast. Immerse yourself in this beautiful and robust section of Faerun during a time when gods are killing each other, plagues are destroying whole populations of people, and war is brimming on the surface (and possibly under it as well).

NeverwinterMUSH takes place during the year 1372DR in an alternate timeline to canon Forgotten Realms. The Spellplague never happens, and recently Bane has returned after killing Mystra and Cyric - claiming the portfolios of the Weave and Murder for himself. Shar has gone into hiding along with her followers and the church of Mystra has been converted to Banite dogma and the church of Cyric is currently being hunted down and eliminated on site.

In the newest and poorest areas of Neverwinter, rumors are spreading of a wailing death claiming the lives of entire families and those who attempt to help them. What's more, an unusual cold has settled over the entire area after Mt. Hotenow's warmth stopped and the river and harbor froze over. The economy on the verge of collapse, now is the time for true heroes to rise up and fight for the city!

Join us: aelfhame.net 6000

• Pitcrew

Is there a wiki? What system are you using - one of the D&D Editions, or something more homebrew? I could definitely use a little D&D in my life.

Also eyes that setup will you be attempting to follow the NWN game plot, or just using it as a jumping off point?

• Coder

@Pyrephox I believe they are using FS3

• We're using FS3 because pretty much all MUSHers have been exposed to it, and if they haven't... now's as good a time as any to learn it. (So many use it because @faraday made it so easy to install and configure, and it does a lot, my favorite is the +combat instances)

We are not following any other storylines established by other media. I enjoy RP in the FR world and I made a space to play it with a friend. So I thought, hey... why not open it up for other players to play too? And I did.

I'm posting weekly +events to be used as a general direction of the metaRP happening in the city, which should give RP hooks. If I'm hosting a scene for the game, you're welcome to join it, and if you have a great story arc I'm open to hearing it and helping it come to life.

Restrictions (cause I'm usually asked) are on race and class as follows:
    Drow/Half-drow, Orcs, Goblins, and Underdark races are being held for story elements only
    Sorcerers should be rare and may require a little more background to establish them, but they're playable.

Come check it out :D

• There's a thief who could certainly use a few more pockets to pick. I'm a complete newbie to the setup and stroyline, but am already having fun immersing myself in the world. Looking forward to others to come join the fray. :D

• @NightAngel12 said in NeverwinterMUSH:

We're using FS3 because pretty much all MUSHers have been exposed to it, and if they haven't... now's as good a time as any to learn it.

Fair enough!

So I log into the game...

+news CHARGEN                                 

Character Generation
    If you're looking for a full breakdown of how the system works... sorry.
    Staff aren't looking for min/max characters. This game is about RP more than
    anything else. Yes, there's a +combat system in place to help facilitate
    some combat situations, but Neverwinter is meant to host roleplay primarily.
    If you'd like more combat, staff know a great MUD we'd be happy to point you
    towards where we play as regular players.

• @fatefan well is that the whole thing? How do you build a rp character? how do you deal with a bunch of murder and war without combat?

I am not actually familiar with FS3.

• @Kanye-Qwest Here is the remainder of that +news file:

Now then, Chargen is rather simple. Follow the instructions in each room
    until you get to background. Think about the RP you'd like to have, the
    character you're building, and where that character might have come from.
    Check out +news Theme for more information on how your character might have
    arrived in Neverwinter without being born there.
    Once you've written a background that discusses when and where key
    skills, anything 4 or over, were learned, then submit your background for
    approval and wait for staff to read it. This process can take as much as 48
    hours, but typically won't. Staff will supply you with their feed back and
    if they cannot approve your background and character, they will provide you
    with any help you'll need to get approved. We want you to play and we're
    here to help you get on grid. If at anytime you have questions, ask staff.
    If there isn't a staff member online, +mail Tempus and he'll help you as
    soon as he can.

• Coder

+news CHARGEN                                 

Character Generation
    If you're looking for a full breakdown of how the system works... sorry.
    Staff aren't looking for min/max characters. This game is about RP more than
    anything else. Yes, there's a +combat system in place to help facilitate
    some combat situations, but Neverwinter is meant to host roleplay primarily.
    If you'd like more combat, staff know a great MUD we'd be happy to point you
    towards where we play as regular players.

This is so adversarial and dismissive. There's absolutely a difference between "I don't want my character to suck at what he's supposed to be good at" and "min/maxing". Obfuscating the mechanics just means that people that have been around for awhile will have figured some things out, leaving new people in the dark. It also means there are staffers that fully understand the system and I somehow doubt they'll end up with ineffective characters. It's also built on FS3, which @faraday has provided documentation for on her website and means without significant code changes, there are yet others that will be able to figure out. Finally, others will end up hitting on it by accident or good guessing and are you going to allow it because they don't "know" the system?

Don't be lazy. Give people information and do your job as staffers during the app process in applying the "power level" you wish for your game. Keeping mechanics secret (for a system that is widely known as you say) is ineffective. Further, suggesting that knowing or wishing to know the mechanics mean people should play a MUD you know, well-- it's not an attitude that speaks well of the place.

ETA: Isn't meant to be directed at you fatefan, I was just plucking the quote from you.

• @Glitch That's what I figured! I agree with your sentiment.

• Coder

@fatefan @Glitch They're using 2nd edition, the documentation for which is here. The docs for that version were provided in wikidot format, with the intention that games would copy/paste them to their wiki (which is why it's not pretty when you visit the links -- I should really pretty that up though since there are so many games that don't bother to include the documentation on their website). If there are any questions about how it works that the docs don't answer, I would be happy to answer them.

• Pitcrew

You're using Forgotten Realms but not any edition of D&D to run it? I would think you are cutting out a large part of your potential playerbase, as anyone familiar with Neverwinter is likely to be a D&D player and will expect that. It's like a Mexican restaurant not serving tacos.

• Pitcrew

Yeah, I went to check it out. The staffer on was very friendly, but using a D&D setting and no D&D system pushed me away. I wish you luck, though!

We're using FS3 because pretty much all MUSHers have been exposed to it...

I refuse to let it expose itself unless it is wearing a fashionable trench coat. And even then, maybe not, because elitism.

((Various people talking about D&D rules))

In the greatest irony to date, 4e (the edition everyone hates) is best for this, because all combat things are clearly defined, and anyone can cast utility spells (no more vancian magic/caster op shenanigans).

Double irony: it is still level-based, and thus, equally undesirable.

• I personally have no problem not using a D&D ruleset for a D&D-themed MU*.

I do, however, find it extremely off-putting for a game's news files to tell interested but not-yet-informed players to all but fuck off for wanting to learn about the system the game purports to use.

We're using FS3 because pretty much all MUSHers have been exposed to it

OK, this pisses me off when people do it with WoD (a system I have never played) and that pissed-off-ness appears to translates well enough to systems I actually know as well! This attitude is anti-newbie-friendly and I want to grr at it on principle.

• Coder

I find it a little off putting, myself. I would have preferred a D&D system or at least a guide to show what a class would look like compared to one from the books. Not all players are going to be able to translate their knowledge of D&D into FS3 and make it work. It would probably help to give an idea of what a character of X class would look like based on level 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20. So people can see how staff sees the system working.

• I'm sorry to hear people have had a bad experience upon entering the game. I checked into the +news file listed on here and it has been taken down to be rewritten. The person in charge of putting up a selection of initial +news files is no longer part of the 'staff' of the game.

As for exposure to the FS3 system -- If you haven't played a MUSH that uses it, and I acknowledge that some people haven't which is why I used the term 'most', then I don't see any reason not to play one that uses it -- in the form of my mush.

I am using 2e of FS3, it's the soft code files I happen to have a copy of and I feel it's solidly made soft code with plenty of options to configure. As for not using D&D, by which I'll take you to mean d20SRD, I personally don't want to spend the time doing the soft code. NeverwinterMUSH isn't open because I'm trying to host a game for the public. I had the game space with Penn already installed, a friend of mine and I wanted to RP in a Forgotten Realms setting, so I put together what is currently there and asked someone I'd worked with elseMU to put up some +news files for me while I was busy with real life. That person told me they'd finished and since I trusted the person, I didn't take the time to micromanage their work.

My friend, with whom I do play Neverwinter as the only other staffer (Tymora, not Saerwen) said we should open the game for the public because it would be nice to have others to RP with. So I did. If you'd rather not play in a Forgotten Realms setting, that's your choice. Don't bash my game with petty nitpicking because it isn't a soft code system you'd want for a similarly themed game.

• Pitcrew

I didn't bash your game. I pointed out that you are hamstringing yourself by using a setting that will appeal to D&D players and then confuse and/or push them away without using D&D resolution mechanics, and, no, I don't mean d20SRD. D&D is a long lineage that encompasses everything from Chainmail to 5e and the retroclones. If you don't want to use D&D, that's fine. I hate Forgotten Realms whether you use D&D, Runquest, Rolemaster, Hackmaster, FATE, FUDGE, Ars Magica, Traveller, FS3, dikuMUD, or Storyteller. Just realize that you are limiting your game's potential. If you're fine with that, great, and I wish you luck.

You wouldn't need to soft code much at all for D&D - a sheet with players' stats that are publicly viewable, a die roller that can handle d4s through d%, and a method for tracking HP and status changes. Put the onus on the players to resolve things, rather than letting the server tell them what the roll is and who succeeded.

• Politics

@Ominous said in NeverwinterMUSH:

I didn't bash your game. I pointed out that you are hamstringing yourself by using a setting that will appeal to D&D players and then confuse and/or push them away without using D&D resolution mechanics, and, no, I don't mean d20SRD. D&D is a long lineage that encompasses everything from Chainmail to 5e and the retroclones.

I think it is misleading. Neverwinter is something that originated from D&D. It would be perfectly reasonable to expect the game to use the D&D system.

• Pitcrew

I'm curious how you're handling the High Magic elements of The setting with FS2? Spellcasting, magic items, etc etc.

Looks like your connection to MU Soapbox was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.