Constructing a FAQ (and what ground to cover)

• Hopefully, this will be helpful. I'm doing this now as I work on some things, and will probably add things here as I think of them as well.

Please note: this topic is not meant to be system-specific. As in, this is not 'this is a FAQ topic relevant only to WoD' or 'this is a FAQ topic relevant only to <game of choice>/<RPG system of choice>/<play style of choice>/etc.'. If there's stuff like that, don't hesitate to add it, but please mark it out as such, not as a generality that should apply to all the things ever.

Questions for complete hobby newbies are as welcome as questions for veteran players to help them figure out what exactly is going on on the game or what kind of game it is quickly.

• Coder

@surreality Since we've been talking about telnet lately, here's a good FAQ question that a newbie would have: 'I clicked on your connect to play link but it asked me what program I wanted to open the link in and there were none listed! What do?'

Edit: Assuming I understand the topic correctly and that you are asking for suggestions as to questions that might appear in an FAQ for our hobby.

• @alzie Recommended clients is a big one, yeah. I'm a mac user, so I'm an Atlantis person -- I have no idea what else is really out there. There's actually a wikipedia page on this, with a collection of MUD clients and a comparison chart, even, but I'm not sure if that would confuse more than it would answer.

• Coder

@surreality I usually just point people to Potato, MUSHClient and Atlantis. Covers the major platforms and doesn't overwhelm the user with choices.

• A quick blurb on what posing is and how to do it. The various commands (@emit, etc.) and what the norm writing style in play is (third-person, present-tense).

• Pitcrew

@faraday For Chromebooks, there's Duck Client, as well (which should also work under Android).

• @fortydeuce

For web-based clients, I recommend ChroMUD Alpha (http://chromud.whiteraventechnology.com/) and WebMU (http://www.cheesesoftware.com/MUCon/)

• Pitcrew

Never tried that, @Bobotron. I just know Duck installs on a Chromebook as a discrete app, so you have a window that feels like a full program, even though it isn't -- I'd find it weird to MUSH from even a standalone browser window with a tab and what have you, but Duck doesn't have that feeling.

• @fortydeuce

These are web-based, so they just open up in the window of whatever browser you're using, making them ideal for any platform.

• Coder

For total newbies, how scenes actually work and what the grid is. I know this seems entirely obvious, but when I'd juuuuuust started MU*ing (back when trilobites roamed the primordial oceans), it took some figuring out. So I make a character, and this is how I pose and... then what? Some basic grid etiquette as well, like not wandering into private residences, could also be useful. Not that I ever did that as a rank newbie, thinking the entire grid was something I could explore. No, never.

Looks like your connection to MU Soapbox was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.