[Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera

• "Experience the raw power of atomic rockets as you explore Luna, Mars and Near Earth Asteroids in the search for resources. With big corporations and factions that are starting to emerge and also want a share of the cake, space is now more dangerous than ever before."

Rothogna MUSH mixes space exploration and industry, political intrigue, and colonization on an original near-future setting (23nd century), featuring an extended human presence in space, thanks to the advancements in nuclear thermal rocket technology, humanity now has the opportunity to settle colonies around the Solar system. RP can be centered around the day to day lives of space workers, colonists and military, focusing on the struggle and danger of living and working in space, as well on the fight for resources by multiple factions. The game aims to develop a consistent hard sci-fi storyline driven by players and staff.

Address: 144.217.15.179:4201
    Web client: 144.217.15.179/websockclient
    Wiki: 144.217.15.179/wiki
    Inspirations: Mostly The Expanse, but also the works of Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov.

The game is currently in the works but almost ready for opening, feel free to ask any game-related questions, and if you want to collaborate, let me know!

• @peppel said in [Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera:

• A realistic space system with 3D orbits.

This hints that it's going to be code heavy. Care to elaborate?

• @tnp Spaceships can travel between locations (such as an orbit or the surface of a planet, their coordinates are defined using mathematical functions), the distance is calculated and depending on the ship's propulsion system, the travel time is calculated accordingly.

The system prevents players from staying static in space without going anywhere, if you are traveling, you must wait until you arrive at your destination.

In a nutshell, rooms represent locations, and ships travel between them.

• Iz manual/flight simulationy? Can we, say... stop mid-flight and change destinations? Or is it just, like... a locked taxi type room?

• @jennkryst You can't. However, traveling between Earth and Luna, for example, requires more than one flight maneuver.

• Coder

What kind of travel time are we talking here?

• Pitcrew

I'm probably in the minority, but I love travel times on space games, it really helps push that crew cohesion and can lead to some great travel RP if you've got a crew around to play with on your ship.

This sounds like a pretty cool concept, I look forward to seeing more about the game!

• @ixokai Using a IC time that runs 30 times faster, a Moon round trip could be done in a few hours, better propulsion systems can lower the travel time to just minutes, A trip to mars could take a month or two at worst, but this may change in the future.

• I'm always a fan of political intrigue, can you expand a bit more on that?

• Coder

@peppel So how do you make it so that people are entertained for a month or two (at worst) with only a very small group of people (those on the ship)? That's a long time to be cut off (rl) from other RP other than those on the ship.

• @utahsaint said in [Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera:

I'm probably in the minority, but I love travel times on space games, it really helps push that crew cohesion and can lead to some great travel RP if you've got a crew around to play with on your ship.

I don't think it's a minority so much as...there are people who really like space sims and people who feel they get in the way of story-driven RP. I'm in the latter camp, but the former needs an audience, so! Some games are made for an audience that isn't me and that's fair enough.

On a game that made heavy use of them I'd probably want to know what mechanism were in place to keep them from separating players/being impediments to day-to-day RP, but I'm happy to see sci-fi of any kind, even if it's not my bag of sci-fi.

• Coder

@peppel said in [Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera:

@ixokai Using a IC time that runs 30 times faster, a Moon round trip could be done in a few hours, better propulsion systems can lower the travel time to just minutes, A trip to mars could take a month or two at worst, but this may change in the future.

During that... month... or... two... the only RP that can happen is between people on the ship, right? So one person gets bored and quits, and now everyone is down one of the EXTREMELY limited number of people they can RP with. Is there at least something like FTL VR or something?

• Pitcrew

@three-eyed-crow I don't disagree with the convenience of no travel time, though there are some merits to travel time helping push people together to RP who may not always have good reasons - Book a trip on a fast ship, and you'll have a bit of time to get to know each other. I had quite a few good times on some of the older Star Wars MUSHes that had travel times. The pitfall of course is having players split up too much and making it hard to catch people for RP.

• @utahsaint said in [Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera:

The pitfall of course is having players split up too much and making it hard to catch people for RP.

This was always the death of me on Star Wars MUs. If you've got 30 players connected, but 5 of them are on Coruscant and 3 are on Tatooine and 10 of them are idle and and...you get the idea. It can work on a big game but you need a certain critical mass to make it viable. Then again, I acknowledge I'm just not the audience for this style of game and that's fair enough. Good luck!

@ixokai
    RE FTL...y'know, my ambivalence for h-space aside, the idea of a mini-game where I can kill pirates by locking myself in a medbay and depressurizing all the blast doors appeals. But...I can just play FTL for that (I should play some FTL).

• Coder

@three-eyed-crow said in [Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera:

@ixokai
    RE FTL...y'know, my ambivalence for h-space aside, the idea of a mini-game where I can kill pirates by locking myself in a medbay and depressurizing all the blast doors appeals. But...I can just play FTL for that (I should play some FTL).

LOL. I meant faster-then-life as a concept, as in can you at least plug into some VR and RP with people on earth while on mars through some sorta solar-system-wide-network that wasn't constrained by light-speed communications. I know some sci-fi keeps to lightspeed for travel but allows FTL comms, and it would be a saving grace to make this... at least seem possible to me.

That said I do need to play more FTL.

• Coder

FTL comms are almost a thing right now.

Quantum Entanglement allows for the transmission of binary information instantly over infinite distance.

Theoretically.

It's similar to how Quantum Encryption works.

• What are character stats/sheets/etc going to look like? Any kind of economy/inventory stuff? Does everybody get a ship if they want one or is it something they have to work on?

• @peppel said in [Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera:

@ixokai Using a IC time that runs 30 times faster, a Moon round trip could be done in a few hours, better propulsion systems can lower the travel time to just minutes, A trip to mars could take a month or two at worst, but this may change in the future.

Since you mentioned both The Expanse AND Heinlein (and since the Epstein Drive from the former is just an efficient torchship from the later), I'll just throw out ballpark numbers here. Because I am invested in the idea, even if I weep at the lack of hspace style controls.

You don't NEED a 30x quicker travel time... depending on how much handwavium you have in your tech level. If you 'point and burn' directly from Earth to Luna at 1g, you can get there in 2h 20m (ish). But that is constant acceleration towards Luna... not stopping. If you perform a 'flip and burn' style brachistochrone manuever, where you accelerate halfway and decelerate halfway, the 1g travel time turns into 3h 20m (ish). Jupiter is only, like... an average of days away.

The math gets tricksy if you want to just coast for part of the way, with no delta-V, or if you're going from Earth to Mars (because the distance is waaaaay more varied than Earth to Luna), or if your direct path happens to take the flight path directly through Sol, or if you want to include the mass of your fuel in the equations, or [various other real world considerations].

• Coder

@jennkryst said in [Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera:

You don't NEED a 30x quicker travel time... depending on how much handwavium you have in your tech level. If you 'point and burn' directly from Earth to Luna at 1g, you can get there in 2h 20m (ish). But that is constant acceleration towards Luna... not stopping. If you perform a 'flip and burn' style brachistochrone manuever, where you accelerate halfway and decelerate halfway, the 1g travel time turns into 3h 20m (ish). Jupiter is only, like... an average of days away.

What. Earth to Mars, in an ideal orbit, with maximum possible thrust, a multiple month thing. There is no conceivable way to get to Jupiter in days. If you have some way of having magical infinite thrust where you don't have to carry fuel in your setting, you can go a lot farther, yes, but no tech level gets you to Jupiter in days.

And therein lie my issue: Travel times measured in hours let alone days (i'm not even looking at that months level) creates a situation I don't believe is even vaguely tenable in a MUSH.

Each ship, with a handful of crew, becomes a setting unto itself. You log on and want to RP. Instead of, on even a small game, 20 possible RP partners who have different time zones, lives, situations... you are down to what, 5 if I'm being generous? More likely, 3?

If one of those few people aren't rpable, you can't RP.

How much sitting around wanting to RP will people endure? This isn't a new situation, this is the death of Star Wars games with a setting the sized of a galaxy and "Anyone wanna RP?" requests being narrowed down to the 4 people who happen to be on Coruscant.

I mentioned a way to make this workable: VR in FTL comms. Its not perfect but at least "I'm bored and there's nothing to do" isn't what all the players are feeling.

• Coder

@ixokai said in [Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera:

And therein lie my issue: Travel times measured in hours let alone days (i'm not even looking at that months level) creates a situation I don't believe is even vaguely tenable in a MUSH.

Yeah I think it's important to acknowledge the difference between 'that's not my cup of tea' and '30 years of community experience advises us that this idea probably isn't practical'. This idea falls more into the latter camp for me.

But hey - I don't think that means someone shouldn't try something new if they go into it with both eyes open to the danger signs. Maybe there is an audience of people who are looking for more sandbox-style troupe RP where you've only got the same three people to RP with for months on end. (Like that Doctor Who game where you're mostly with the same crew.) Maybe with some hard RPI-like space systems you can tap into a much more massive population and make it viable to have several planets as effectively isolated mini-grids. I'm skeptical, but I could also be wrong. Good luck.