[Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera

• Politics

@tempest said in [Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera:

What are character stats/sheets/etc going to look like? Any kind of economy/inventory stuff? Does everybody get a ship if they want one or is it something they have to work on?

Seconded.

• I think that the folks that were playing on the heavily coded space games that were so popular back in the late 90's and early 00's, left for MMOs ages ago and they're not coming back. The people remaining in the hobby are all RPers who do not want or need coded travel systems getting in the way of their fun. As cool as these systems might seem when you're designing them, they will ultimately not be an asset to your game. They will not attract players (well, not enough to make a difference, anyway) nor will they help retain players, or do anything to increase activity levels.

Just my two cents, based on 20 years of experience coding and playing on (mostly) sci-fi games. Please take this as "hey, are you aware..." and not "hey, you're doing it wrong" :)

• I think you can easily get away with travel times in the hours or even days if they are enforced for roleplay and in character purposes but not at all via code, especially if combined with some kind of time acceleration.

So sure, it takes you a week to get to Mars even with your hyper efficient fusion torch drive ship but that does not mean that you have to go into a coded object with a group of people, hit a command, then wait a week before you can leave. Instead you are for example running a 3:1 time dilation on the game and if somebody who last night was RPing in Earth orbit wants to take part in the scene on Mars today? Well ninety percent of the time that is fine, ICly it took them a week to travel but exact dates can be handwaved.

But you can enforce travel times if scenes are part of some overarching and time sensitive plot, if the Earth orbit scene last night was people failing to foil evil Space Spies from stealing the information on the exact location of the Martian archaeological dig site and the scene on Mars today is Space Looters trying to loot the site the next in character day as local heroes try to stop them?

Then sure, nobody who was around Earth can get there in time and they have to hope the people on Mars can deal with it.

• Coder

@packrat said in [Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera:

But you can enforce travel times if scenes are part of some overarching and time sensitive plot, if the Earth orbit scene last night was people failing to foil evil Space Spies from stealing the information on the exact location of the Martian archaeological dig site and the scene on Mars today is Space Looters trying to loot the site the next in character day as local heroes try to stop them?

Maybe somebody should split this off into a Travel Times thread so we don't spam the poor OPs ad too much?

But yeah ... IF you have a large enough population to support steady RP in multiple areas and IF you allow alts in each area, then it's theoretically possible to enforce a-couple-days travel times as a plot device. But many Star Wars games have proven that those are two gigantic "IFs" and fallen victim to the "oh well I can't find RP on Coruscant and my character has no reason to hop around the galaxy every other day... this game sucks bye" phenomenon. Firefly games fell victim to the "well my crew all quit so now I have nobody to play with regularly and I'm screwed" phenomenon. I think it would require some really revolutionary thinking and/or support systems to solve these problems for multi-day travel times. Weeks or months though? You might as well be running separate games, since Earth and Jupiter would never be able to interact meaningfully.

• Pitcrew Banned

Can I have a Space Battleship? I promise to use it for good and not evil.

• @ganymede
    Character sheets contain basic information, stats, and skills that define the player's ability to interact with certain game mechanics (mining, and piloting, for example).

Economy is based on a resource extraction system (Rocket fuel, water, and metals to name a few).
    Getting a ship is not mandatory, so players can pursue different goals on the MUSH

• Politics

@peppel said in [Original Hard Sci-Fi] Rothogna MUSH, a Rocketpunk space opera:

Character sheets contain basic information, stats, and skills that define the player's ability to interact with certain game mechanics (mining, and piloting, for example).

Okay. Is this a homebrew system, or based on another system?

Getting a ship is not mandatory, so players can pursue different goals on the MUSH

That's not really a responsive answer. Does everyone get a ship if they want one, or is it something they have to work on?

• @ganymede The character sheet system is homebrew. A player that registers as a pilot will be able to get a ship if he wants, but it won't be that powerful. Using the resources obtained via mining or trade, players can upgrade or build better ships.

• Pitcrew

I wish this game the best of luck, but I don't see how it can work as presented; either you'd need to decrease the travel times (which is doable even with hard physics, just up the tech a bit. You could go with faster engines or cryonics for travel) - or somesuch.

Probably the easiest way to manage it is to replace 'solar system' with 'nearby stellar cluster', add in time dilation and cryonics, and have all the transits take place over the course of centuries - all the players would have to be people with an excuse to travel frequently, either due to being merchants, military, spies, or probably simply wealthy enough to afford to freeze themselves. Would be kinda neat, actually - and in either case, the travel times would be important to icly note, but not oocly important at all. You can make travel times icly important without them being oocly important.

Heck, if you went that route, you could even have some sort of random generator which spits out cultural changes every so often, as the static players watch the planet-bound change each time they scene or head somewhere new. I mean, the main headache there would be people would have to know which planet they were on, and coordinate a bit when they move around...but thats more doable then 'we all sit in a spaceship and wait', I think.

Best of luck either way though!

• I've added the connection details to the original post, and thank you guys for all your ideas. About the travel times, they will probably be reduced by increasing the ship's performance significantly. The FTL VR idea is also very interesting.

• @peppel I figure that even if you do not want magically efficient Expanse style fusion engines to keep things hard sci-fi then there is the alternative option of ships using antimatter as fuel. You could have close solar orbit or Mercury situated 'power farms' generating the stuff perhaps.

Though that makes any kind of spaceship even more of an utterly deadly weapon just through it's means of propulsion.

• The one thing I have with this game is you call it a mush but what I am mostly seeing in the advertisement for drawing players in is the coded mechanics. Tell me.more about the story the setting that shoukd enthrall me moreso than the mechanics of the coding you have implemented. As a RP focused player that doesnt care too much about the mechanical devices of a game system what sort of characters will I be able to make?

• @magee101 Rothogna MUSH revolves around the extended human presence in the solar system on a near-future setting (22nd century), thanks to the advancements in nuclear thermal rocket technology, humanity now has the opportunity to settle colonies around the solar system. RP can be centered around the day to day lives of space workers, colonists and military, focusing on the struggle and danger of living and working in space, as well on the fight for resources by multiple factions. The game aims to develop a consistent hard sci-fi storyline driven by players and staff.

• @peppel Okay that has piqued my interest. Now the question of what types of characters are sort of going to be the norm? If I remember correctly you said earlier it is a homebrewed system, so what sorts of things are we looking at as mainline stories. Is it sort of like Serenity, where there is more emphasis on the 'crew pods', are you more going for the 'everyone is their own free agent' feel.

Also do you have any more theme information, more specifics on a website or within the game itself? Dates/events or a basic outline to give a feel of the political/economical stations available in the world (is it more sort of cyberpunk with big corps running most things and the little guy getting shit on, is it more Utopian in where everyone does have a legitimate fair shot at doing what ever they want, is it totalitarian with a government hounding on everyone's door?)

• @magee101 Player will be able to travel alone if they want, but having a crew with different skills will ensure the ship's engines are well maintained, and in case of emergency, players can refuel their ship by extracting resources.

I plan to add a small wiki with theme information (NPCs, Locations, History)