NOLA: The Game That Care Forgot

• Admin

@RDC can you please give us a TL;DR synopsis of what the game is about, its spheres, or even just who it's suited for?

• Pitcrew

@Arkandel It's in the original post, which I even edited! However, I will TL;DR here for people who don't want to scroll up:

Vampire/Werewolf/Human CofD 2e. Melting pot themes, everybody's all up in everybody else's kool-aid. Lots of in-the-know mortals, special arrangements with the supernatural factions so that these mortals aren't killed and swept under the rug (because there are too many of them to really do that with, and because they have powerful faction-neutral benefactors in a group of immortal Wardens who nobody knows how to kill and who stay out of everybody's way as long as the city itself isn't endangered by said supernatural factions).

The game is for anybody who wants to be able to play vampire, werewolf, or mortal without a ton of staff policing. If you've ever wanted to run a game-spanning plot without needing to be staff? NOLA is for you - absolutely no part of the metaplot is off-limits to player STs (although certain parts do require approval). Do you want to influence the game in big ways as a player? NOLA is for you. You can literally run plots where the world might end if you fuck up just between yourself and a circle of friends if you want, WITHOUT needing to be staff (or even friends with us).

Do you want to get into vampire politics without the constant turnover of Princes getting constantly PKed and replaced with people who fuck off? The Triumvirate are very hard NPCs to topple, but 90% of the political work and maneuvering are done by the Primogen council, which have NPC members who are very specifically designed to be knocked off and shoved to the side by ambitious PCs, given tiny one-line descriptors to let player STs be able to say "Hey, my buddy wants to become the Invictus Primogen, can I run a plot where she dislodges the current one?".

Do you want to take on the thankless, absolutely horrid job of being one of the werewolves who nominally runs the Protectorate (but really just gets in trouble if a werewolf pack goes rogue)? You can do that. It sucks, I don't know why a PC would want to, but you can. Werewolves are mostly focused around pack-centric RP. Territory is made by digging your own smaller territory off of a main grid room - a functionally unlimited resource because pack territories in NOLA tend to be small, given how dense the spirit population is and how brazen spirits can get. Do you actively want to have PC vs. PC conflict over pack territory? Find another pack who ALSO wants that, OOCly, and arrange it. IC conflict over pack territory only happens if it's OOCly desired.

Do you want to be a werewolf who gets into vampire politics? Join a coterie. Hell, there's a Primogen Council seat specifically reserved for a werewolf, due to the Accords. There's even a mortal Psychic Vampire on that council. Want to be a vampire in a werewolf pack? Any vampire, not just Dead Wolves, can join and run with a pack and count as a pack member for kuruth/pack rite benefits (although they cannot buy Totem). Hell, ghouled WB keep their one free Tell if you want to mix a little bit of wolf into your little bit of vampire while you're playing a human.

Do you want to play a human who just outright gets up to supernatural shennanigans? We allow all the Hurt Locker templates but Dreamer (because honestly, I just couldn't figure out how to make them work well on a MU*). You can know about and interact with the supernatural community. You can start an organization of your own, or join one of our pre-made Mystery Cults like the Black Constables who function as private detectives, protection racket, and informal supernatural human police to protect humans from un-Accorded things that go bump in the night. Or the Heirs of Trois-Frere, spirit-magicians who serve a spirit who calls himself The Sorcerer and teaches even non-Wolfblooded initiates how to perform pack rites, gain specific Tells, and even (at level 5) gain a Gift. You can even pitch for your Mystery Cult to be an established part of NOLA history, as legitimate and supported as any staff-created organization.

NOLA is about giving players plenty to run with, but also empowering them to take ownership in the game. Headstaff do reserve the right and responsibility to give things a sanity once-over and help work out the math so things don't get so unbalanced they topple, but we want you to feel like you can write this story, too. We don't want full control, we want a living game that players are invested in because they helped make it.

• @RDC

...can I get a tl;dr for the tl;dr? ;)

• Pitcrew

Wow, I forgot about NOLA! Swinging by to check it out again.

• Pitcrew

@Auspice said in NOLA: The Game That Care Forgot:

@RDC

...can I get a tl;dr for the tl;dr? ;)

...shut up. >.>

Vampire/Werewolf/Humans, melting pot theme, set in New Orleans, lots of player agency, run by a wordy fucker.

• @Auspice Wolves and vamps duking it out and mortals stuck in the middle. Sometimes all three work together. Staff are mostly hands-off.

• @RDC said in NOLA: The Game That Care Forgot:

run by a wordy fucker.

hey, I get it. Back when I Staffed on Ennersea, one of my jobs was 'keep the HeadStaffer to her word when she'd claim to be 'putting something in a nutshell.'

Any plans to expand beyond just Vampire/Werewolf? (I saw that Beast is not being used anymore / at the moment.)

• Dead Wolf totes needs to be a bloodline for any, not just Gangrel. BUT I'M WEIRD.

• @Auspice said in NOLA: The Game That Care Forgot:

Any plans to expand beyond just Vampire/Werewolf? (I saw that Beast is not being used anymore / at the moment.)

I want changeling, but there aren't really any plans that I'm aware of.

• Pitcrew

I also very badly want Changeling to be honest. Is the Theno-code done for it? Is there a non-backers-only PDF available?

@Jennkryst said in NOLA: The Game That Care Forgot:

Dead Wolf totes needs to be a bloodline for any, not just Gangrel. BUT I'M WEIRD.

Ganymede is doing the Bloodlines for us, you might wanna sweet-talk her and she might do something like that. I wouldn't be opposed to it. BUT, any vampire can join a pack, take part and benefit from pack rites, and be treated as pack for Kuruth purposes by our rules.

I also very badly want Changeling to be honest. Is the Theno-code done for it? Is there a non-backers-only PDF available?

I'm not quite sure where @Thenomain is on the code. I know it isn't done, but I believe he may be willing to take donations towards its completion (no I am not at all trying to help get him paid for his work... or I am probably definitely ;)).

Personally I am looking for places to play Mage.

I won't start fussing about Geist until it's out I guess but would you consider Geist once it's released?

• Pitcrew

Geist is so in once it's out that I've thought about adapting it to 2e MYSELF, then decided I'd rather not make more work for myself than necessary. I may not wait for Theno and just force Melpomene to do Geist once it's out, even. Geist is so NOLA it physically hurts me to not have it.

Geist is so in once it's out that I've thought about adapting it to 2e MYSELF, then decided I'd rather not make more work for myself than necessary. I may not wait for Theno and just force Melpomene to do Geist once it's out, even. Geist is so NOLA it physically hurts me to not have it.

That makes me so happy.
    I only got to play Geist for a hot minute on Fallcoast before I just... couldn't play Fallcoast because Fallcoast and there's nowhere else.

I've had SO MANY CONCEPTS for Geist. It seems like every few months I have a new one.

• @Auspice said in NOLA: The Game That Care Forgot:

@RDC said in NOLA: The Game That Care Forgot:

I'm not quite sure where @Thenomain is on the code.

Chargen. Regain/Spend for Goblin Debt has not been tested, and I need to add it to the sheet. Also need to test that the Touchstone merit behaves properly with regards to the Clarity tracker.

Personally I am looking for places to play Mage.

Golden Road and that Portland game have Mage.

I won't start fussing about Geist until it's out I guess but would you consider Geist once it's released?

I’ve seen the Kickstarter pre-release and they use Touchstones too, in a way similar to Changeling and Vampire. I have no other solid commentary on the quality of the changes, even tho I know yo we’re asking RDC.

• Of course Beast is gone. I had a rather swell Beast there too. I'm tempted to give it a go though.

• Pitcrew

@Admiral Yeah, Beast was just...too much. My own PC taught me that. It was fun, in a sort of way, but the sort of fun that should probably be had in tabletop where your characters are stars of personally curated stories, not a cooperative game of dozens of people. Mage is more flexible, but what Beast is good at, it's better at than Mages even. Like. Defense 10+, Armor 6, 18+ health levels, 20 or 30 agg on a single success, ignoring 6 defense, attacking in an AoE sort of craziness at high levels (which were, indeed, accomplished with the XP levels on NOLA in a year or so at 1xp automatic + 2xp earnable a week). And that's just the physical brawling, not to mention what high Lair does with Alien Allure and Siren's Song, Mimir's Wisdom, et cetera. The way it's designed there's no downside to pumping Lair as fast as possible and their power balloons almost exponentially with Lair. Atavisms are cheap and their effect is based on Lair, which you already have high. It'd require a complete redesign to work for MU*.

• @Jennkryst

Everyone likes them for reasons I do not understand.

• Pitcrew

Update: We've got about 8 people approved so far! We've had a few scenes, but we aren't at that critical mass yet where RP can just happen any time. If you've been waiting until there were people to play with, there are people to play with now! The first PrPs are getting planned and executed. We've got werewolves, vampires, and mortals in relatively equal amounts so whatever you want to play, you'll have choices.

ALSO: If you are the type who likes to swoop in early and take a power position, a reminder that our Primogen Council does 90% of the leadership of the vampire sphere, and the NPCs in those positions are literally just there to be knocked out and replaced with PCs. Just ping me in-game (I'm Bourbon) and I'll be more than happy to run something where you assassinate, scheme, negotiate, blackmail, or whatever your way into said positions.

• Pitcrew

Yeah, I have a wolf AND my vamp approved! Could definatly use more members of the Praxis! My ex-Invictus turned Acolyte elder-who-lost-it-all-due-torpor dude could use Invictus to hate on him or miss him, and Acolytes to help him find himself! Do iiiiiit~

• My vampeer is also approved now. I'll get my WoD legs back slowly.

VampChurch is mandatory. Except for those weird Crones.