Random links


  • Admin

    @EmmahSue said:

    O science!

    http://www.iflscience.com/method-removing-carbon-dioxide-air-could-return-us-pre-industrial-revolution-co2-levels

    ES

    Uhm. What's to keep someone batshit enough (North Korea comes to mind, the leadership there is ripped straight out of comic book pages) from doing this hard/long enough to kill everything? We do still need CO2 in the freakin' atmosphere.


  • Pitcrew

    @Arkandel said:

    @Coin said:

    See, I'm in the camp that thinks that cheating is fucking horrible, but that doesn't give hackers a blanket pardon for breaking the law and then leaking people's private lives all over the internet. It's not "okay" just because the people you're targetting may be cheating on their spouses.

    That was never an issue though. The hackers didn't do this for moral reasons. They did it to blackmail the company for money. It was when the blackmail didn't work that they released the data - publicising the issue ahead of time was just an extra method to apply pressure on them.

    This isn't a morality hack. This is a (fairly standard) data extortion scheme with some morality sprinkled on top.

    ... Having said that, it's hilarious, and getting some statistics out of the service because of this actually helps answer certain questions about the demographics of all such sites, even the less sketchy ones.

    Fair enough,. I amend: fuck the hackers for being greedy shits who violate people's privacy because they didn't get money.


  • Admin

    What do you think about people's reactions to this? https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/post/127153060736/goonies-house-owner-slams-tourists-for-doing-the

    Fans have not taken well to the restrictions.
    One told KGW News: “She should realize that there is a following for this movie and that people really want to see this house.”
    Added another: “It’s a bummer as someone who just wanted to come see a piece of childhood and something you think you’re a part of.”


  • Pitcrew

    Guess what, assholes, you don't get to tell a woman she should let you into her house because you can't get over a childhood memory. Oy vey.



  • @Coin said:

    Guess what, assholes, you don't get to tell a woman she should let you into her house because you can't get over a childhood memory. Oy vey.

    People are self-centered as hell. Wow.

    Seriously though, who cares that much about a /movie/?

    Hell, if you lived somewhere for 15 years as a kid, then your family moved, and now you're 30 and wanna go back and visit the "old family house", those people who live there now are justified in telling you to screw off, nevermind 'oh this house happened to be used as a set in a movie I like, let me intrude on your privacy'.



  • Send them to Amityville.


  • Pitcrew



  • @Misadventure The Amity house got a complete revamp of its facade for the same reason, actually. They even renamed the road it was on and renumbered it to avoid this same thing.


  • Pitcrew

    @Coin said:

    I leave this here with no comment or opinion other than "Wow".

    Every word Brian Ashcroft types makes me want to throw a phonebook right at his face.


  • Pitcrew

    @HelloRaptor said:

    @Coin said:

    I leave this here with no comment or opinion other than "Wow".

    Every word Brian Ashcroft types makes me want to throw a phonebook right at his face.

    I didn't even know who that was, so i checked. You got his surname wrong. Ashcraft. Shame on you. How dare you.

    Also, I could give three shits because what the fuck is up with the actual content of the article? ROFL.

    What's next? Friday Night Lights: The I.T. Years?


  • Pitcrew

    @Coin said:

    @HelloRaptor said:

    @Coin said:

    I leave this here with no comment or opinion other than "Wow".

    Every word Brian Ashcroft types makes me want to throw a phonebook right at his face.

    I didn't even know who that was, so i checked. You got his surname wrong. Ashcraft. Shame on you. How dare you.

    Also, I could give three shits because what the fuck is up with the actual content of the article? ROFL.

    What's next? Friday Night Lights: The I.T. Years?

    I wasn't aware you rebelled so hard against the idea of cheerleaders to begin with, I guess.

    The situation is a bit lulz, but 'what the fuck' seems to be overhyping it. Oh shit, companies have figured out that their predominantly male employees respond to positive social interaction with pretty girls by becoming more productive, and squeezed it out like they do every other ounce of productivity they can.

    I can't tell if you're what the fucking over the guys having the audacity to perform better because of it, or that women are somehow debasing themselves by taking jobs as what amounts to a cheerleader/restaurant hostess, or that corporate entities focused on the bottom line are exploiting human nature, or what.

    Are you what the fuck-ing because there's no apparent nod given to female or gay male employees, or what? Because again, while this seems worth a bit of a chuckle and shake of my head, I feel like I'm missing why it deserved a 'post and quickly stand back to avoid the fireworks' line, or any 'what the fuck' really.


  • Pitcrew

    It's actually a mix of a lot of those things, but more than anything just that it comes off as ridiculous on a basic, superficial level. My 'no comment or opinion' wasn't really 'standing back' so much as I didn't really have a comment or opinion beyond "this is quirky as hell".

    My "what the fuck" is less indignant and more just "lolz, weird". Even if further thought makes it less weird from a logical standpoint, as its just an evolution of an already extensively present societal role (i.e. cheerleading), I can still find it weird within my context and share it.

    But you always come out swinging, which is kind of half the fun. :P


  • Pitcrew

    @Coin

    My "what the fuck" is less indignant and more just "lolz, weird".

    You're a pretty indignant guy when it comes to social issues, which while to your credit at times, does make your what the fucks sound like a lot more than lolz weird.

    Fair enough, though.



  • @HelloRaptor said:

    You're a pretty indignant guy when it comes to social issues, which while to your credit at times, does make your what the fucks sound like a lot more than lolz weird.

    I reserve WTF for things that I object to, and lolwut for things that are lolzwyrd.


  • Pitcrew

    @Ganymede said:

    @HelloRaptor said:

    You're a pretty indignant guy when it comes to social issues, which while to your credit at times, does make your what the fucks sound like a lot more than lolz weird.

    I reserve WTF for things that I object to, and lolwut for things that are lolzwyrd.

    I'm sorry, you're right, guys. From now on I'll only use accepted forms of expression and textual idoms, and run them by you guys f-aahahhahaha, no.

    <3



  • @Coin said:

    I leave this here with no comment or opinion other than "Wow".

    Then let me expand.

    This is typical Kotaku (and other) writing in that it is short on facts, short on any kind of fact checking, short on reality. It's just like the "facekini" shit that littered the net a few years back in that it took a "trend" that was so minimal people in the same city as where the trend was purportedly rising had no fucking clue that such a trend existed.

    This is typical "hurr hurr hurr them furrners shoor is funnAY" reportage. The evidence against it comes from the article itself. "...An HR manager at an internet company in China..." Could that be any more vague? How 'bout you name the "Internet company in China"? Or the HR manager, for that matter. The entire article is long on speculation and short on fact. (Their attempt to pretend to highlight this themselves exacerbates the problem rather than mitigating it.)

    Anybody involved in writing, editing, or publishing a pile of shit like that deserves to work at Kotaku.




  • Pitcrew

    Now see, that is a 'what the fuck'. >_>






Log in to reply