How to Change MUing

• Coder

Personally, the game I am working on I am trying to automate /as much as fucking possible/ just to lessen staff loads and allow them to focus on what's important. RP.

Will it completely disable +jobs? Nope. But it will lighten the load. I am automating xp spending (except for unlocking out of clan disciplines), XP gain, building (except for actual placement), gear/equipment, status wars, blood pools, etc.

I do hope it will make people be more inclined to realize /they/ control their fun, and they can progress that fun at their leisure without needing to wait around.

• Pitcrew

I have never been a fan of mini-games on a mush, I don't mind if they are there even if they give benefits to other but to me the mini-game defeats the purpose of why I log on.
    When i log on it is because I want to RP with other people, even a great mu* based mini-game is meh to me because if I wanted to play a computer based game without other people well I have a console for that, or any of the various games I have on PC. I enjoy both forms but to me they scratch two completely different entertainment itches.

• @ThatGuyThere said in How to Change MUing:

When i log on it is because I want to RP with other people, even a great mu* based mini-game is meh to me because if I wanted to play a computer based game without other people well I have a console for that, or any of the various games I have on PC. I enjoy both forms but to me they scratch two completely different entertainment itches.

I get this. To me, the mindset I go into different types of games with is pretty divorced. I'm just fundamentally looking for different types of experiences when I play 2 hours of Civ V versus when I play a MU scene. Like, I love strategy games, but I loathe MU economies because I just don't particularly think they're made to do that well. I'm more ambivalent about other coded mini-games. I occasionally quite like some and find most pretty benign. I get that they're generally aimed at a different kind of player than me who gets really excited about them, which is cool. I only get actively GRR toward them if they both interfere with RP and I'm forced to deal with them. I'm cool with things that're opt-in and give fairly passive or negligible benefits, but if they take overwhelm RP/character interaction, I go off them real fast.

• I think there are a lot more MU*ers than people think. What games are doing to attract and retain them, and bring in new folks, is more important to worry about. Yes, a lot of roleplayers moved on to MMOs, but new folks are still joining the hobby.

F&L has a pretty big proportion of first-time MUSHers, and they bring their friends. We can't be the only one, and WoD is super-saturated as it is.

• @Paris Reno1 had a fair bit of new crew, too. It was really refreshing. People seemed to pick it up pretty quickly, too. It helped that we had one new person who did a fantastic job helping them adjust, making resources and similar. While she and I didn't see eye to eye about a great many things, I would never hesitate in saying she did a genuinely phenomenal job with that and was a huge help that way.

Looks like your connection to MU Soapbox was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.