Domain setting up

• I'm currently working on setting a MUSH up, but my experience is fairly limited, so my questions may seem on the simplistic side. (Which, in fact, they'll often be. :D ) But I'm curious as to what the difference is between .org, .com, .net, etc. Are some better the others to have as domains?

• Coder

The difference is in what they mean. For example; .com is for commercial. .org is for an organization (Possibly non profit, not sure on that), .net is for a network, there are various ones that indicate country also.

I use .com because I am in the middle of creating my own game system for use on my game, and to also make as a book to sell (I have far to many projects going at once I tell you) but realistically... use whichever you want.

• Pitcrew

@Lithium said:
    .org is for an organization (Possibly non profit, not sure on that)

That's correct, it's generally for use by non-profits.

• Thanks. :) From the sounds of things, I'm best just going with .com then.

• I'm on Namecheap now, but it's saying I need to purchase an app along with a domain. Is anyone familiar with the site and what app is best value for money?

• Coder

@Retias I don't use the site, and would myself personally not use it. I probably overpay a little for my hosting (I pay 15$ a month) but I get a /lot/ out of it, there's nothing hidden, no hoops to jump through, everything works pretty easily (Except for TeamSpeak, having trouble getting TeamSpeak to run a server on it but I think that's my problem, not theirs, first time trying to do so and am probably setting something up wrong) and it's never gone down on me so far.

Since I am so happy though, I will gladly promote http://www.thirdhosting.com/ as whom I use, and recommend it to others.

• Coder

@Retias I use namecheap for all of my domains, but I have no associated apps, nor have I ever been required to have one. Maybe it's just marketing since the domain is parked?

Looks like your connection to MU Soapbox was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.