The Esports thread



  • I like watching Hearthstone tournaments because unlike most other esports, they're easy to follow as a spectator and it's fun seeing if the players will manage to make the right decisions with imperfect information.



  • EVO is happening right now. I'm keeping an eye on the Smash tournament at the moment - https://www.twitch.tv/evo1


  • Pitcrew

    I missed most of yesterday's LCS, but so far today's games are AWESOME.


  • Pitcrew

    Guys, I finally made it to Silver IV on League of Legends on my own.

    God damn, I am not good at these games so this is pretty neat for me.


  • Pitcrew

    @Coin I've played League on-and-off since Season 1, and I can tell you that ever since the ranked overhaul that introduced promotionals, I've found Gold games markedly easier than Silver. Silver V is the absolute worst group of people in that game. Bronze players usually have humility by virtue of being Bronze (don't know how that's changed with the new sub-bronze league), but Silver V players tend to be just as bad, if not worse, with completely unwarranted arrogance. So if you've crawled out of that cesspool, you're probably a lot better than you think you are.

    I know Dota has an even worse reputation for toxicity, but the attitude of the League playerbase is like 80% of why I switched. The fact that I've been playing long enough to have Judgement Kayle and still don't own every champion is the remaining 20%.


  • Pitcrew

    @Rinel said in The Esports thread:

    @Coin I've played League on-and-off since Season 1, and I can tell you that ever since the ranked overhaul that introduced promotionals, I've found Gold games markedly easier than Silver. Silver V is the absolute worst group of people in that game. Bronze players usually have humility by virtue of being Bronze (don't know how that's changed with the new sub-bronze league), but Silver V players tend to be just as bad, if not worse, with completely unwarranted arrogance. So if you've crawled out of that cesspool, you're probably a lot better than you think you are.

    I know Dota has an even worse reputation for toxicity, but the attitude of the League playerbase is like 80% of why I switched. The fact that I've been playing long enough to have Judgement Kayle and still don't own every champion is the remaining 20%.

    The new leagues means that the cesspool you're referring to is spread a little broader over Silver IV-III and Bronze I-III, unfortunately, but I've never been that sort of player.

    I'll probably still run into them, though. Leagues have only 4 divisions, now.

    I have been told, however, that it's a lot more unusual to be hard stuck in Silver than it is Bronze, just by virtue of people start taking the games with a little less rage, lol.


  • Pitcrew

    Having players Rainbow 6 siege ranked and League of Legends ranked I have to say that R6 has a more representative MMR. It is straight MMR you get X pts for winning or losing and move instantly no promos no prove it. The LoL promotions system always seems overly punishing to me given that in a solo queue statistically speaking you are going to have a disconnect, bot, or something once out of 5 games.


  • Pitcrew

    @Jeshin said in The Esports thread:

    Having players Rainbow 6 siege ranked and League of Legends ranked I have to say that R6 has a more representative MMR. It is straight MMR you get X pts for winning or losing and move instantly no promos no prove it. The LoL promotions system always seems overly punishing to me given that in a solo queue statistically speaking you are going to have a disconnect, bot, or something once out of 5 games.

    Yeah. I do hate the promo system. It's horrible.

    But most of my friends who play MOBAs play League and while I do most of my playing alone, swinging back and forth between one game and another is difficult for me. I already tried it with Heroes of the Storm and just... my head.


  • Pitcrew

    @Jeshin Yeah, I prefer Dota's flexible MMR for the same reason. One game shouldn't count so incredibly much more for your rank than another.

    That said, I'm still terrified of doing ranked Dota. SO.


  • Pitcrew

    @Rinel said in The Esports thread:

    @Jeshin Yeah, I prefer Dota's flexible MMR for the same reason. One game shouldn't count so incredibly much more for your rank than another.

    That said, I'm still terrified of doing ranked Dota. SO.

    The worst part is that AFAIK, LoL still has a hidden MMR and when you get matched up you don't get matched up based on your league (Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc) but your ELO. Sure, you can't get matched up with someone too many levels above or below you in leagues, but that still means that if you're hardstuck in low Bronze but you play relatively well, in general, you're getting matched up with people who play better than the rank you're trying to get the fuck out of. It's really frustrating.



  • @Coin At the same time, your gains and losses are adjusted to reflect that fact. If you're hardstuck but a higher MMR, you should be able to climb out if you play enough games, and you can even skip divisions.

    It's a dumb system still, but I always find that when I put the effort into climbing it happens pretty steadily.


  • Pitcrew

    @Selira said in The Esports thread:

    @Coin At the same time, your gains and losses are adjusted to reflect that fact. If you're hardstuck but a higher MMR, you should be able to climb out if you play enough games, and you can even skip divisions.

    It's a dumb system still, but I always find that when I put the effort into climbing it happens pretty steadily.

    That's probably true when you play at a Diamond level and are hardstuck Silver, where people still more or less have figured out the basic macro of the game and won't int. If you play at Gold level and you'rte hardstuck Bronze, it's fucking impossible, man. I stomped my lane and could literally two-shot any of my opposing team yesterday--and I still lost because my team inted so hard I just couldn't be everywhere at once. The loopholes in the system you're referencing do work for people who play at mid-to-high level so they don't get too stuck, but for people at my level they just don't really do anything. I don't play at Diamond or even Platinum; I'm never gonna skip a division.

    And all this sounds like I'm complaining--I'm not, not really. I'm proud of myself knowing I got to Silver after a lot of work, and I did it in SoloQ without any of my (much more) skilled friends carrying me. And they have offered. I just prefer to be hardstuck at a low ELO than to be carried high and then drop like a stone when I'm left to fend for myself at a level I just can't manage.



  • @Coin Oh god, I'm definitely not Diamond. I usually land at about Silver 2 and have a ton I can work on. I didn't even finish my placements last split.


  • Pitcrew

    @Selira said in The Esports thread:

    @Coin Oh god, I'm definitely not Diamond. I usually land at about Silver 2 and have a ton I can work on. I didn't even finish my placements last split.

    This is literally the highest I've ever climbed. Before this, my highest "steady" level was Bronze II, before Iron got implemented.

    We'll see if I can manage to stick around Silver. :P



  • My best was barely scraping into plat 5 for two seasons, but I haven't played much in years. I'd be really lucky to be able to hit silver now, I think.



  • My placement for my first ranked season was Silver IV, which I'm told is pretty alright for a first-timer. I've been meaning to get back into it for a long-ass time. I was a support main forever but I've been refocusing on Top lane because I've found my besties in Gangplank and Swain.

    Promo matches are stressful AF. Especially when whether you move up or down can be beholden to your teammates doing poorly.


  • Pitcrew

    @Dreampipe said in The Esports thread:

    My placement for my first ranked season was Silver IV, which I'm told is pretty alright for a first-timer. I've been meaning to get back into it for a long-ass time. I was a support main forever but I've been refocusing on Top lane because I've found my besties in Gangplank and Swain.

    Promo matches are stressful AF. Especially when whether you move up or down can be beholden to your teammates doing poorly.

    For reals. I'm Top/Support, too. Mostly I just rampage across the top half of the map with Volibear. >.>


Log in to reply